MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS & REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Information Systems, Computer Science or a closely related field and five (5) years’ experience in Business Intelligence systems, large scale data analysis, and other advanced business reporting tools OR Equivalent combination of education and/or experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties.
- Background Investigation:
- Employment is contingent upon the results of a comprehensive background investigation including work experience verification, criminal background check, and a personal credit history review.
- Licenses and Certifications:
- Valid Arizona driver’s license
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES / KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
The statements listed below describe the general nature and level of work only. They are not an exhaustive list of all required responsibilities, duties, and skills. Other duties may be added, or this description amended at any time.
Evaluate and recommend database/data warehouse components, including hardware, relational database management systems, ETL software, metadata management tools, and database design solutions. Conduct research and make recommendations on BI products, services, and standards in support of procurement and development efforts. Assess and recommend long-term strategic goals for BI development in conjunction with end users, managers, clients, and other stakeholders. Direct, organize, and lead projects in the implementation and use of new BI software tools and systems. Lead the integration efforts for merging BI platforms with enterprise systems and applications. Design, code, test, and document all new or modified BI systems, applications, and programs. Develop the semantic layer, metadata, reports, and report definitions. Develop graphs and portal interfaces. Assist in the design of databases and data warehouses to ensure interoperability with BI solutions. Analyse user requirements and, based on findings, design functional specifications for BI front-end applications. Produce ETL design guidelines to ensure a manageable ETL infrastructure for the BI system. Design and deliver end-user training and training materials; provide technical support as necessary. Troubleshoot BI tools, systems, and software; performance-tune these applications as necessary. Act as evangelist for BI benefits across the organization; promote BI usage to relevant departments. Mentor and/or provide leadership to junior members of the team. Establish and maintain relationships with vendors and third-party service providers, act as a liaison between such entities and other I.T. personnel to resolve issues. Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, establishing personal networks, benchmarking state-of-the-art practices, and participating in professional societies. Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed. Knowledge and Skills
- Data warehouse analysis and design, methodologies, and data modelling;
- Analysing user requirements and building front-end BI applications according to specifications;
- Strong understanding of relational database structures, theories, principles, and practices;
- Data privacy practices, laws, and security standards (e.g. PCI DSS, NIST SP 800-53, HIPAA);
- Project management and development life cycles;
- Industry trends involving business intelligence;
- Supervising one or more direct reports;
- Public Transit or Transportation industries.
- Professional communication, both written and verbal, with internal and external clients;
- Explaining complicated and technical information in simple, non-technical language;
- Attention to detail, time management, and multi-tasking;
- Active listening, teamwork, cooperation, and motivation;
- Tier-one applications, databases and data warehouses (e.g. Oracle Database, Microsoft SQL Server, SQL
- Server Reporting Services, SQL Server Integration Services, Crystal Reports, Microsoft Power BI, Tableau, etc.);
- Microsoft Windows and Linux operating systems;
- Extract, Transform, and Load (ETL) tools;
- Relevant scripting languages (e.g. T-SQL, Perl, Python, R);
- Data processing flowcharting techniques;
- Database design applications;
- Developing custom analytical reports in one or more reporting platform (e.g. Crystal Reports, Tableau,
- Microsoft Office software applications (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote, and Visio);
- Analysing problems, identifying alternative solutions, projecting consequences of proposed actions,
- Recommending best options and implementing recommendations in support of goals;
- Using initiative and independent judgment within established guidelines;
- Analysing and documenting business processes;
- Researching, analysing and evaluating new service delivery methods and techniques;
- Exercising initiative and creativity in the improvement, development, and implementation of projects;
- Communicating in writing and verbally in order to interact with co-workers, supervisor, and the general public at a level sufficient to exchange or convey information and to receive work direction.