This position has a focus of administering our core Microsoft-based systems such as Office365 (Exchange Online, SharePoint Online, Azure AD), Active Directory, and Citrix, within a small team of systems administrators who share responsibility for these systems. The position’s primary technical focus is Office365 services and Active Directory, and its functional focus is operations, with an emphasis on managing and supporting our Windows environments. The position also has some involvement in planning and upgrading existing systems and services, engineering and implementing operational improvements, and implementing new systems as specified by the Senior Systems Administrators.
- Strong analytical ability and problem-solving skills are very important.
- May lead technical role in new areas in which the individual has no prior experience. Tasks and projects sometimes require the ability to quickly learn new areas in depth – both technical and non-technical - without formal training. Demonstrated interest and effectiveness in this type of environment are important.
- Ability to be effective and creative in a highly cost-conscious environment is very important.
- Vendor issue management experience, including data capture and upload as well as experience following up with the vendor on bugs and problems.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND SCOPE
Engineering and Project Support
- Establish hardware upgrade requirements by understanding and anticipating business needs and goals over the proposed system lifecycle of existing systems.
- Test procedures for new or upgraded servers/systems including installation, upgrades and disaster recovery.
- Provide informal technical leadership on small systems, development projects, and facilitate effective technical or other decisions within diverse, consensus-based project teams.
Operations and Support
- Perform daily system monitoring, verifying the integrity and availability of all hardware, server resources, enterprise systems and key processes, reviewing system/security logs, and verifying completion of scheduled jobs such as backups. Act as needed on any issues identified.
- Shared/rotating responsibility for responding to after-hours pager alerts from monitoring systems.
- Repair and recover from hardware or software failures. Coordinate and communicate with impacted constituencies for Tier I or II issues, escalate to principal SA/management for Tier III.
- Perform maintenance or problem remediation activities during Wednesday early morning and / or monthly Saturday maintenance windows.
- Apply OS/application patches and service packs on a regular basis, and upgrade administrative tools and utilities and other third-party software.
- Maintain operational, configuration, or other documentation / procedures.
- Coordinate 3rd party vendor site visits for small scale application or server maintenance.
- SA Project Management
- Manage small scale assigned projects, including tracking objectives, milestones, constituent communication and hardware and staff resource coordination.
- Bachelor’s degree with a technical major such as engineering or computer science, or
- equivalent work experience and demonstrated proficiency in technical analysis and written technical documentation.
- 3 years’ experience administering a complex Active Directory of at least 1000 users, including at least three of the following:
- Maintaining a multi-site AD forest with Administrator-level privileges.
- Maintaining an Active Directory/Azure AD hybrid environment in support of Office 365 services (Email, SharePoint, Teams)
- Creating and deploying new GPOs, as well as maintaining existing GPOs in a multi-site domain/forest.
- Performing tests of authoritative and non-authoritative AD recovery procedures.
- Administering Exchange on-premise, Hybrid or Exchange Online (O365) email environment
- Provisioning of AD access to outside parties and cloud platforms
- Experience with Microsoft DNS, DHCP, File and Print Services, Failover Clustering, SQL Server
DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS Experience with Microsoft 365 Administration as a Global Administrator, or equivalent certification Performed migration of a multi-site or multi-domain (or both) Active Directory forest to Windows 2012 R2 or Windows 2019. Maintaining an AD/Windows-based PKI (Certificate Authority) Experience maintaining VMware on premise or cloud AWS/Azure infrastructure Proficient with OS-level scripting environments (such as PowerShell or bash) and interpreted languages (such as VBScript or perl). The ability to navigate and troubleshoot interoperability issues from within and to Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2019. Because our environment also includes non-Windows servers and systems, should be comfortable working in a heterogeneous environment that includes Linux-based systems
***From the agency: "There is a chance of it becoming full time, 40 hour/week position. It may well definitely become a full time position. Also, we may need their help setting up the technical side of public meetings and those may be held around the state, so that is where they may have to drive."***